BGen Stephen Jost GO BIO (Photo by Andy Morataya)
Brigadier General Stephen F. Jost is the Chief of Staff, Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, U.S. Central Command.
Gen. Jost was previously the Director of the F‐35 Integration Office, Headquarters United States Air
Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. He advised the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Staff of the
Air Force on the multi‐billion dollar F‐35 program and engages with the Offices of the Secretary of
Defense, the Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, the other Services, Air Force Major Commands and
partner and customer nation representatives to advance the operational capabilities and sustainment
needs of the F‐35A.
Prior to his assignment to the F‐35 Integration Office, Brig. Gen. Jost was the Senior Air Force Planner
for Joint and National Security Matters, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington,
Brig. Gen. Jost received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1994. He is a graduate of the
U.S. Air Force Weapons School and is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours in the T‐37, T38,
F‐16C/D and F‐35A. He has flown missions in support of South Korea defense obligations and
operations Iraqi Freedom, Southern Watch and Noble Eagle.
1994 Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1998 Combat Air Platform Employment Seminar, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1999 Fighter Electronic Combat Officer’ Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2000 United States Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2001 Squadron Officer’ School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master’ degree in Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2007 Master’ degree in Military Arts and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Master’ Degree in National Resources and Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces,
National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Learning, Greensboro, N.C.
2015 Senior Leader Enhancement Seminar, U.S. Congressional Execution, Washington, D.C.
2018 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Institute for Defense and Business, Chapel Hill,
2018 Senior Leader Enhancement Seminar, China and Middle East Affairs, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1994 – December 1995, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. January 1995 – August 1996, Student, F‐16 training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. September 1996 –July 1999, Instructor Pilot, 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
4. August 1999 –June 2000, Instructor Pilot, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
5. July 2000 –December 2000, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. January 2000 –April 2003, Weapons Officer and Flight Commander, 421st Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB,
7. May 2003 –July 2006, Flight Commander and Director of Operations, 16th Weapons Squadron, Nellis
8. August 2006 –June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2007 –June 2009, Operations Officer (J‐3) and Lead, Fixed‐Wing Analyst (J‐8), Joint Staff, the
Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. Jul 2009 –July 2010, Commander, 332d Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base
11. August 2010 –June 2011, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense
University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2011 –June 2012, Deputy Commander, 35th Operations Group, Misawa AB, Japan
13. July 2012 –December 2012, Director of Staff, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
14. Jan 2013 –May 2014, Commander, 33rd Operations Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
15. May 2014 –August 2016, Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
16. September 2016 –July 2017, Senior Air Force Planner, Joint and National Security Council Matters,
Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. August 2017 –March 2018, Chief, Operations Division, F‐35 Integration Office, Headquarters U.S. Air
Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. April 2018 –present, Director, F‐35 Integration Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon,
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2007 –July 2009, Operations Officer (J‐3) and Lead, Fixed Wing Analyst (J‐8), Joint Staff, the
Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,700
Aircraft flown: T‐37, T‐38, F‐16C/D and F‐35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major July 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel July 1, 2012
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)